Bunny's CHIN CHIN Adventure



This month I visited Melbourne for the first time with El and two of my dearest friends, Nick and Jenny. This lucky pair are traveling the world at the moment and stopped off in Australia for a three week visit. Being new to Australia myself I wasn't sure where to take them and what to show them. Living in Canberra we could visit Sydney or Melbourne by car so this is exactly what we did. I'll start with Melbs first as it is home to my now favorite restaurant and the best food I've tasted in a long while.

To be honest I knew very little about Melbourne, it wasn't a place that I particularly was interested in visiting (more fool me). Until, that is, I happened upon a program featuring Melbourne born Chef John Torode with the witty title of John Torode's Australia. I'm not a huge fan of John's but my interest in the program stemmed from the fact that in 2 months I would be living in Australia, so I gave it a go.

The episode I watched (episode 9) featured a visit to John's former student Benjamin Cooper Head Chef at CHIN CHIN. The restaurant specializes in South-East Asian cuisine and by all accounts is making a stir. In this episode Ben show's John how to make his 'Scud City' Jungle Curry. I LURV Thai food and my mouth watered as I watched, entranced by Ben's recipe. I made up my mind, I had to travel the 8 hour journey from Canberra to try it, but not until Nick and Jen arrived.

Four long months of waiting followed, in that time we traveled what seemed a million hours across the world to reach our new home down under. Almost daily I imagined how amazing this curry would taste growing more and more impatient for Nick and Jen's arrival.

This month I finally got my wish and it was GLORIOUS.

OUR CHIN CHIN EXPERIENCE

First thing's first, CHIN CHIN is very popular being the newest trendie of trendies on the block with a first come first seated ethos. Don't expect to just walk in and be seated as though you were royalty. We arrived at 6pm on a Tuesday thinking it would be less busy WRONG! There was a long queue and the place was buzzing and full to capacity. I've since heard that at 11am when CHIN CHIN's doors open people begin to line up to get in. When the host at the door told us to expect a 2 hour wait I have to admit I did recoil in shock, but this is the going rate and we all must pay our dues.

Don't let this put you off, 'fortune favors the brave'. Use this time to sample the cocktails and menu in the GO GO bar downstairs (in itself a little master piece). A dark florecented New York style bar with local artists latest offerings filling the wall space. It too is packed and full of life and I can't think of a better way to pass the time.
Left: Nick enjoying a moment with our lovely waitress Right: Me

We settled down to a few drinks and teasers (my word of appetizers, entrees, starters) as suggested by our good looking waitress. We took her word for it and she ordered the Kingfish Sashimi and the Chilli Salt Chicken Wings for us. These dishes also feature on the restaurant's starter menu.

Left: Kingfish Sashimi Right: Chilli Salt Chicken Wings

When they came they looked really pretty, the flavors are bold and complex. The food hit our tongues and the first thing to be heard around the table was MMMMMM, followed by an astonished WOW! The nibbles blew our minds and left us drooling for what was to come. Before we knew it our table was ready and we'd hardly noticed that an hour and 40 minutes had passed by.

Another good looking waiter (they seem to be pandemic in CHIN CHIN) seated us and suggested a few meals for us to try: Rendang Curry of Spice Crusted Braised Beef Brisket and Dry Red Curry of Soft Shell Crab. Nick orders the Caramelized Sticky Pork and I blurt out excitedly that I'm having the Scud City Jungle Curry with the Braised Pork Shoulder.

The waiter flashes me a curious look followed by an amused smile: 'It's really hot', says he
'I know', says I and with that he chuckled and sauntered off.

CHIN CHIN is a loud and vibrant spot to eat, it reminded me of the clamor and bustle of the Kho San road and the market streets of Bangkok (one of my favorite cities in the world). If you want quiet this isn't the place. So laugh loudly, be at your merriest and add to the atmosphere.

 When the food arrives this is what greats us:
Top Left: Scud City Jungle Curry Top Right: Sticky Caramelized Pork Bottom Left: Rendang Braised Beef Brisket Bottom Right: Dry Red Curry of Soft Shell Crab

Now dear adventurers, you have to know that I am not a person who actively seeks out the hottest dish on the menu and I'm far from a chilli junkie, generally don't like my food scorching hot with spice. I have been known to whine about pepper being too hot and have had to train myself over many years, to eat spicy food. I decided long ago that I couldn't dismiss a whole other world of flavors just because I was a pansy.

So with this in mind think on what I experienced next. I take my first bite: 'Oo hello cheeky," I think to myself. A very powerful, white hot sting from the chillies engulfs my mouth and lips like a raging bush fire. It's so hot that it takes my breath away and I now know what the waiter's smile actually meant. I wince at my bravado because this curry is like eating the Sun.

But then, thankfully the other flavors comes through and it quickly becomes one of the most delicious dishes I've ever eaten. I can't stop eating it even though it's biting me back and wrestling with my tongue like a wild jungle cat. After a few mouthfuls I reach my heat limit, I take a moment's respite to try the other dishes. Unsurprisingly they are just as delectable. Each dish is distinctive, each ingredient used is present and holds its own. The crab is crispy and moreish, the pork is crackly and melt in the mouth and the beef seems to fall apart all on its own. In each dish there are ingredients and flavors at work that I've never experienced (even in Thailand) Thai Basil, Krachai and others that are unnamed on the menu.

My eating companions and I eat every last scrap and sit back full and happy that we waited for this meal. We all agree that this is the best meal we've ever eaten, but even more astoundingly, it is the best food we've eaten in or outside of Thailand.

I died and went to food heaven that night and will forever compare my future meals with my CHIN CHIN adventure.

Do yourself a favor brave the wait or get to CHIN CHIN at 10:30am and wait like a groupie outside its doors until it opens and if you are stupidly brave like me, try the jungle curry and post your comments.

Happy adventuring!

Chin Chin Restaurant / Go Go Bar
125 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
http://www.chinchinrestaurant.com.au/ 

Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Bunnys Happenings

Events Coming Soon

Follow Bunny on Instagram

Coming Soon

About Bunny's Chow

Bunny's Chow is a food diary, named after my beloved great Aunty Bunny and the South African street food known as Bunny Chow. Through this diary I share all the gastronomical wonders I encounter as I travel around Australia (and the world) and my personal journey from home cook to street food vendor/ food photographer.